Skip to main content

Favourite spots on the planet

Here I am, back in the city of cafes and coffee culture!  Melbourne.  I've come to meet my second to youngest grandson, born just over a year ago, and to catch up with his big sister, Mum and Dad.  
Apart from being with the family, I've made a beeline for a couple of my favourite haunts in this fantastic city, taking in a bit of graffiti on the way, of course!
Hosier Lane is a narrow street in the heart of the city centre, which attracts graffiti artists and a steady stream of visitors.  Street art isn't seen as vandalism here.  The city council allows designated areas for this constantly changing art form. There was even a school group receiving a lesson on the concept of street art!  You wouldn't come across that in the back streets of Edinburgh!

"We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter."
Denis Diderot
I walked along the banks of the Yarra River, past some totem poles with Aboriginal art, to the 96 tram stop for South Melbourne Market.  I don't think I have seen these ship's figureheads before, but in the past we have usually walked along the other side of the river.
 Before I wandered through the market I went along to my most favourite bookshop in the world, Coventry Bookstore.  They have wonderful literature, art books, cookery books, a great children's book section, with sophisticated chilled out music playing quietly in the background.  It all adds up to heaven for me!  I usually just let my camera record a few minutes of video footage, just for the soundtrack, and listen to it when I get home!  And I always leave the shop v e r y  s l o w l y and with the greatest reluctance, but there is a limit to how long you can hang around in one place without raising the shopkeeper's eyebrow!  I regret that I never buy a book.  The cost of books in Australia is eye wateringly painful, and I can get them at home for half the price.   

And then to the market, piled high with colourful fruits, vegetables, flowers.  Meat and fish stalls, cakes and pastries, and some fantastic deli counters.  

I bought a ridiculously large chocolate and almond croissant at one stall, and an excellent coffee at another, and sat at a little table in one of the market thoroughfares, and scoffed the lot.  It was delicious, and extremely greedy.  But sitting in the middle of the hubbub of the market, in a place I love to be, watching the comings and goings of the market traders and their customers, was just the best way to spend some of my morning.
Having visited my favourite bookshop, I also had a browse through the market's very good second hand book stall.  Seeing a copy of 'The Natural History of Selborne' amused me.  I know the Hampshire village well and it is a very long way indeed from South Melbourne Market!

Comments

  1. Always a pleasure to see your view of Melbourne... Hosier Lane is fabulous- it's a shame some of the better art pieces don't stay abit longer... but that I guess is the beauty of it all!
    Enjoy being in such a beautiful city! I love ❤️ Melbourne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous street art and delicious looking croissant! What a nice way to spend a morning. I live not far from selborne and have pottered around GW's house and gardens - it's beautiful. Have also been enjoying dipping into his natural history. Small world, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very small world! I haven't been to Selborne for many years now, since moving to Scotland, but if I have trouble getting to sleep I trace that lovely circular walk from behind the church, through the wood, across the field and back through the wood on the south side, past the beech trees with exposed roots where fairy people live (I reckon) and back up the lane to the church again. I am usually asleep by the time I get to the big field at the far end!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!