Skip to main content

A warm November afternoon!

After a morning of rain, which did not impressed Tilly one little bit, a gleam of mid-afternoon sunshine lured us out for a walk, around one of the big fields nearby.  The wind was ridiculously warm, for November, but very strong, and our walk blew the cobwebs away.
Now that the undergrowth is less vigorous and dying back, we have reclaimed our smeuse.  I have been longing to use that word!  It's one I have learnt from Robert Macfarlane's book 'Landmarks' and it relates to a passage created by animals through a hedge, or some other barrier.  Tilly and I made our own pathway through a belt of trees back in the spring.  It brought us out half way along the edge of the barley field.  Over the summer months it became impassable, too many stinging nettles, but now we have it back!  

Today, as we stepped out into the field, a young hare shot out in front of us.  When we returned there were two, and we stood and watched them for a while.  My photos are not sharp - it's a bit tricky to hold the camera steady in one hand, with a Border Terrier gagging to get at 'em on the end of lead in the other!  Anyway, it was a delightful interlude and, as always, lovely just to watch the hares passing the time, peacefully, in their natural environment.

Comments

  1. Brilliant Hare photos...really good. I got mum her subscription for the BBC Wildlife Magazine for her birthday on Friday...the 'aside' gift was a hare calendar...your photos could easily have been included.
    Walk looked fabulous.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice walk! A really warm wind, which is pretty bizarre in November, and not quite right, really. We stood and watched the hares for quite a while. They were sitting on our route out of the field and I didn't want to disturb them. But in the end we had to move forward, so they eventually became alert and then ran off into the middle of the field. A lovely interlude! I am always spellbound by those creatures. A x

      Delete
  2. I'm a hare-lover, too. When I lived in a small village in Leicestershire, the school walk took us along field paths where hares were a regular sight. My Border Collie was always off-lead and would always trot a few yards in front of me, but when he saw a pair of hares 'gossiping' on the path in front of us, he froze. The hares continued to stand upright, facing each other, just like 2 ladies passing the time of day, with just an occasional glance in our direction. Zac was completely un-nerved by this and slowly, slowly reversed until he reached the protection of my legs!! So funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful little tableau! Tilly is always on the lead, except on the beach, because otherwise she would be after anything that didn't move - and of course things that do move, very fast! I doesn't matter how often I see the hares, it never ceases to be thrilling, and bewitching - glorious creatures! Have a good weekend. A

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!