Skip to main content

A new architectural hero!

We went to Glasgow on Monday.  There was an exhibition at The Lighthouse of work by Australia's most celebrated architect, Glen Murcutt.  It had the inviting title 'Touch the Earth Lightly'.  

The Lighthouse was designed as a warehouse, in 1895, by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.  It was built behind the offices of the Glasgow Herald.  http://www.thelighthouse.co.uk/about/history
Since 1999 it has housed Scotland's Centre for Design and Architecture, offering great exhibition space.
 Having travelled through from East Lothian, the first thing we looked for were the loos!
Mackintosh designed this water tower, which housed an 8,000 gallon water tank.  There are some lovely internal spaces in the building, which has woven in the new with the existing really well.
This is part of a glass balustrade, designed by Alexander Beleschenko.  He uses the gingko leaf in his design, which is blue on one side, and white on the other.
The Murcutt exhibition was held on the second floor.  The best part of the exhibit, for me, was the video which featured the very softly spoken Glen Murcutt, talking about his work, his influences, and most interestingly, how he keeps drawing until the design emerges from the page.  I very much enjoyed his philosophy and his sensitivity to the environment, the customs of the Aboriginal people, who he has designed for, and the materials he uses.  He came across as a very delightful man, thoughtful and mindful in his approach to new projects.
Here's a lovely little bit of information.  In Aboriginal culture, parents should sleep facing towards the setting sun, and children should sleep towards the rising sun.  That makes sense to me!
We also looked at the permanent exhibition dedicated to the many talents of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.  He didn't just design buildings.  He designed furniture, interiors, and was also a fine water colourist.  His most famous building is probably the Glasgow School of Art, which was so badly damaged by fire in 2014.  My favourite aspect of his work, however, are his water colours of flowers.  They are stylised but accurate.
Out on to the streets of Glasgow again, and we met a panda,
the Duke of Wellington, looking very dapper with a traffic cone on his head
 a couple of red squirrels,
and a relation of Morris, our blue tit,
After a cup of coffee and a very yummy piece of rocky road, we walked back to Queen Street station, passed some extremely fine old buildings.  I do like Glasgow.  Perhaps its because my father and grandparents were Glaswegian.  By the time we got back to the wood, I felt as though I had visited another world.  I had certainly discovered a new architectural hero.  Glen Murcutt.  What a very nice, and talented, man.










There is a permanent exhibition, showing the talents of Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!