Skip to main content

A study in grey

I took the dogs to Belhaven Beach on Friday morning.  When we left home the sky was an impenetrable grey and it didn't look as though it was going to lift so, stupidly, I chose not to take my camera with me.  How many times have I done that and regretted it?  I have lost count, but enough times to have learnt the lesson - though clearly not!  I cannot, therefore, show you anything of yesterday's walk, which is a shame because behind me there was a brief but beautiful rift in the clouds and a weak gleam of winter sunshine lit up the sky and brought a sheen to the wet sand.  It would have been a good photograph.  

When we arrived it was low tide.  The beach was vast, a sea mist sitting on top of the waves as they ran over the sand.  They were now innocent ripples, all that remained of the massive mountains of water which were gathering and breaking further out to sea.  The waves were huge.  They were North Sea grey, powerful and menacing.  Amazingly there was a sole surfer.  An inexperienced soul who just didn't seem to have the hang of catching a wave because he missed every one.  

Tilly, the camera and I went back this morning to see if the sea was still churning.  The waves were crashing in, but the light was not in the sky today.  It was grey, raining and cold.  However there were plenty of surfers, a few horses and riders galloping the long stretch of beach, and a healthy quota of dog walkers.  
There must be an attraction to getting in amongst these salty, icy cold walls of water but I can't see it personally.  Tootling about at its lacy edges is enough for me,
even better with my camera in my hand.  Lesson learnt now.

Comments

  1. I'm so pleased you left a comment on your blog, as now I've found yours I have the pleasure of reading back through your posts! It's great to find a new (to me anyway) blog, especially with such good photos. I'm looking forward to catching up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment SandyShoes! I am delighted to have heard from you. I hope you enjoy your trawl through my past posts. They are mostly what I call observational chat and photos, but I set the blog up as a vehicle for my photographs. Hope to hear again from you again soon. A

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!