Skip to main content

Flower Show

I don't want to sound romantic and silly about this but, to my mind, there is something incredibly reassuring and comforting about the annual village flower and vegetable show.  It's not so much the show itself but the fact of the show.  They will have been taking place in villages and small towns all over the UK this Bank Holiday weekend.  I have been enjoying these occasions ever since I was a little girl.  It seems to me that as long as the British can put on a good flower and vegetable show once a year, everything will be alright.  

I LOVE flowers.  I love wild flowers, I love garden flowers.  I love the blossom on fruit trees and the funny little flowers which eventually produce wonderful vegetables.  At the flower show the vases displaying prize specimens from villagers' gardens and greenhouses are always joy!  
There has probably been much angst about the exhibits.  The roses and the sweet peas, will the blooms be perfect on the day?  Will it rain and ruin everything?  The perfect symmetry of the pom pom dahlias always amazes me.
I was rather amused on Saturday when the lady who won 3 prizes for the roses told me that she had just gone out into her garden in the morning, had a little mooch about and chosen a few specimens, cut them, and won.  I bet the runners up weren't so thrilled!  I wasn't overly impressed with her roses either but loved the kitten faces of the pansies.
I don't think there had been any sabotage going on with the vegetable exhibits and Miss Marple need not concern herself too much.  There weren't any giant steriod-laden marrows, although there was a whopping great cabbage and these leeks which you could feed a family of four on for a weekend!
I love the white cloth the exhibits always sit on.  Probably a sheet, lovingly ironed by someone! These little sweeties won favour with the judges.
There were other classes in the show - knitted hat and mittens, photography (I might give that a go next year), flower arranging (might do that as well), houseplants (definitly won't be trying that, I don't like houseplants) and children's crafts.  It's all so British.  They express who we really are and the shows in village halls up and down the country offer a little annual snapshot of our way of life that hasn't evolved out of all recognition! It's still all so familiar and that's what I find reassuring!
There was just one little indicator in the whole show that gave me a slight sense of unease. Hopefully this rather large lemon, entered into the 'Fruit' category, was grown in a conservatory.  I do hope so.  Otherwise - did someone mention global warming?  
Hey ho!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In a vase on Monday - colour

The intense colours in my vase this week come from nasturtiums, sweetpeas and a single glorious zinnia! Their beauty and love of life speak for themselves and need no further words from me! Enjoy!

Colonsay postcards - on arrival

The first thing I do, once we have unpacked our car, which has been groaning with all the stuff we need for a week's stay in the holiday cottage, is head for the outer gardens of Colonsay House. It is a place of wonder for me! I particularly love the leaves of the giant rhododendrons. There are many different varieties, all planted in the early 1930s. The outer gardens are generally overgrown, having had little tending over the decades. That makes them even more magical! The old woodmill falls apart a little more every year, but that's fine by me because I love corrugated iron and especially if it's rusted! And of course the bees. Colonsay's beekeeper, Andrew Abrahams, has one of his apiaries on the edge of the pine wood. So lovely - the hum of busy bees and the heady smell of the pines. We are here - finally! Delayed by four months by the wretched virus, but now I am on holiday! Hooray!

Found items IAVOM

I am on holiday on the Inner Hebridean island of Colonsay. It is my happy place. Thoughts of Colonsay rattle around in my head each and every day I am not here! I haven't got a vase to share this week but some lovely things I have found over the past few days, which are just as beautiful as a vase of flowers! I hope you agree! Here are some leaves of giant rhododendrons, growing in the outer gardens of Colonsay House. Some skeleton leaves of magnolia. The dried stem of a kelp seaweed. A couple of conkers (can never resist those!), and a branch heavily populated by a number of lichens. The air on Colonsay is so clean that lichens flourish here!